Every filmmaker or animator, whether professional, student or amateur, can submit as many works as he or she would like. There is no submission fee. The deadline for submissions is November 1, 2012. By submitting a film to the Bitfilm Festival the filmmaker automatically gets a free Bitfilm Network membership.
We only accept uploaded digital video files or links to videos on YouTube or Vimeo. We do not accept any submissions by conventional mail.
For the category 3D, we accept films of all genres and styles made with 3D animation software such as Maya, 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D etc.
For the category 2D, we accept films of all genres and styles made with 2D animation software such as Flash, After Effects, Toon Boom etc.
For the category HYBRID, we accept films of all genres and styles that mix live action (that means: shot in realtime with a camera) and animation digitally.
For the category MACHINIMA, we accept films of all genres which are shot live inside a computer game or a virtual world such as Second Life.
The Bitfilm Team pre-selects the films which may take part in the voting process. Films will not be selected in the following cases:
- The digital video file does not function technically or is too large
- The film does not fit into any of our categories
- The film violates any laws of the Federal Republic of Germany
- The film does not match the artistic standards of the Bitfilm Festival which are subjectively defined by the Bitfilm Team
The Voting Process
As soon as the pre-selected films have been presented on the website, the audience may vote by donating Bitcoins. For this, each film has its own Bitcoin address. This results in voting points, which are calculated based on the amount of Bitcoins a film has received and the number of donations for this film.
Voters may actively promote films by recommending them to their friends using the "Recommend" function.
The film in each category with the most voting points by the end of the voting period (April 11, 2013, 12 AM CET) wins. The Bitcoins in each category will then be re-distributed among the winners:
The remainder will be used by Bitfilm to fund upcoming festivals.
- 50% goes to the first ranked film
- 25% goes to the second ranked film
- 12.5% goes to the third ranked film
By submitting a film you declare that you own all the rights to the submitted work and that the use of the work by Bitfilm and its partners will not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any other person. In addition, you accept full liability if any third party's rights are violated. You also agree to give us the following rights upon submitting your film to the Bitfilm Festival:
Any other copyrights and rights of utilization remain unaffected. All other agreements must be made separately between the rights owner and Bitfilm.
- We are allowed to show your film on the Bitfilm Festival site, on partner websites, at the Bitfilm live events, and at guest events in other cities.
- We are allowed to copy and archive the submitted film.
- We are allowed to reproduce and publish your film for advertising and public-relations reasons for the Bitfilm Festival (also an abridged version, if necessary).